Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock

I don't know why, but that song has been going through my head off and on since we started this process.  Maybe it is because I sometimes worry we made a foolish decision to build a house right now.  Of course, when we started this process, we didn't know that my daughter was going to be sick much of this spring and end up with lots of medical bills or that my husband would have his fourth eye surgery (today).  I am hoping that this song is going through my head because this is the right thing to do and we are providing a firm foundation both literally and figuratively for our girls.  And speaking of foundations...

WE HAVE ONE!

Notice the dark looking sky overhead?  That is not the lighting on my camera.  I am not sure of the timing, but it did rain at some point in the process.  When Joe and I went to check it out around 12:30, there were two men there finishing up and getting the water off the foundation.  (I am sure the man above would be thrilled to be in my blog)

They started the foundation around 7:00 this morning (you are welcome, new neighbors) and since Joe and I had to be at the hospital for his eye surgery at 7:30, we sent in our helpers.  Joe's parents, Laura, and Emmalee went before school (on their last day of school) and watched the beginning of the process.  They loved it and everyone was really nice to them. I think someone got a finger in the picture below :)

Laura took most of the pictures in the morning and they said a total of six cement trucks delivered the cement to our house. I had no idea it would take so many.  You can see two of them below.     
 Apparently they started moving a little fast at one point and one of the workers got cement all over his hands and made a big deal about his hands being cemented together. The girls got a good laugh at him.  I think this picture might have been right before it happened.

Joe and I left the hospital, picked up food, and headed to the house.  We are thankful his surgery went well and hope for good news tomorrow.  I was going to take a picture of his eye all bandaged up, but I think he will appreciate this one better.  You probably can't tell, but he has house shoes on in the mud :(


Everyone has been friendly when we go by the house and I think (and hope) they like that we are interested and excited about our house.  I don't know much about house building, but I am pretty sure this is the part where things start moving really fast before they slow down again so it should be a fun few weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment