Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What's in a Name?

When we first started thinking about writing a blog, I wanted to get started right away.  One thing kept me from getting started as quickly as I thought.  You have a have a name for your blog before you start to develop it (and it can't be taken by anyone else).  Amazingly, the name came to me quickly.

I am not a huge country music fan (although Garth Brooks brings back some great college memories), however, my middle daughter loves all kinds of music and singing and Miranda Lambert's "The House that Built Me" is one of her favorites.  Since this is a house for all of us, I had to change it to "us" and "The House that Built Us" was already taken so I dropped the "The."

Here are the lyrics that convinced me:

"Mama cut out pictures of houses for years
From Better Homes and Gardens magazine
Plans were drawn and concrete poured
Nail by nail and board by board
Daddy gave life to mama’s dream"

I haven't really cut out pictures, but I have watched lots of House Hunters episodes.
We haven't really drawn the plans or pounded nails, but we did decide what we wanted for our family.

 Most of all, we want this house to be a home for our girls.  They are getting older and will leave home at some rapidly approaching point, but we want them to always feel that this house is a safe place for them.  We want it to be the place they come home to when they are excited, when they are disappointed, when they are rejoicing and when they are hurt.  We want them to know that they can always come home and we will always be there for them.  Most of all we want them to know that they are loved beyond measure.      

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying keeping up with things by reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you can make me tear up while reading a blog about building a house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post...great job!
    Also, I'll be linking your blog to mine today, and thanks for linking mine on yours :)

    ReplyDelete