Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pre-Construction Meeting

This was one of the most important days in our house building process.  Today we met with Bill the Superintendent and Theresa the person who will solve all our problems (no pressure, Theresa!).  We went over our plans in detail and talked about things we hadn't talked about before or even thought about:
  1. Do we want to move the phone jack?  Doesn't seem so important since we haven't had a landline in a long time...
  2. Where are we going to put our TV?  I must admit I panicked at that question.  I had to quickly look at the plans and think about our furniture.  What if we buy new furniture-not likely for awhile since we are putting all of our money into a new house :) I did look at where the windows were and where we would most likely put furniture and decided based on that.
  3. Did we want to get the blinds that go in the back door window instead of just blinds that hang from the door.  (There is a word for them, but I don't remember what it is).  Of course!  They are totally worth it!
  4. Did we want 2 shelf, 2 rod closets or 1 shelf, 1 rod closets or 5 shelves and in what configuration?  Where did we want the 2S 2R?  There were a couple of times I think I may have zoned out.  We really aren't that picky, but then we worry that we should know what we want so we don't get into the house and wish it was different.
I was actually surprised that we had some changes at this point.  I really thought we had it all down and as I said, we are pretty easy going.  Don't be surprised if you are building and decide to make some changes at this stage.  We are definitely set now and not going to change a thing because each change from here on out will be more $$$ than we want to spend.  

Our floor plan... it looks huge (to me), but it isn't really THAT big.


After establishing all of that (and making sure we added some extra ceiling fans since we do live in Texas), we got to start picking our "colors."  I thought this would be super hard since I know NOTHING about design and have no eye for how to decorate.  Lucky for us, we got to work with Eric again and he was super helpful.  Here is what we ended up with:

Our bricks, stone, HardiPlank color, granite, vinyl looks like wood floor but you can put water on it (not the technical term), cabinets, and tile.  Ignore the wood floor they are sitting on :)
Our carpet, paint, and tile



The granite that we choose in the model home with the cabinets and flooring

Better view of the bricks

We are really excited about our choices and can't wait to see how it all comes together.  If you don't like them or think that we should have gone with something else, please don't comment on them!  I told Eric it was like naming a baby.  I was afraid to tell anyone what we chose in case they decided to tell me that they thought it was ugly.  So, only positive comments on this post about how brilliant we were in our choices and how amazing our home will be.  Thanks!


4 comments:

  1. Your home is going to be beautiful, you have made all the right decisions, and your builder, Randy French, is beyond reproach! Randy and Dave were friends when we lived in College Station. Great guy!! Pattie and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like your granite and cabinets - your kitchen will be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they look great!! I'm excited to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look like great choices - you will LOVE it! I love my LVP (luxury vinyl plank floors), especially with pets - and with children. Ripped out all our carpet last year and put this down everywhere!

    ReplyDelete