Sunday, August 5, 2012

Transitions

Way behind on posting this post that I started a week and a half ago.  More to come soon about the actual move and house progress...

I work with college students with Aspergers and have a family member with Autism and people always talk about how transitions are difficult for them.  Guess what... transitions are difficult for me too!  This last week has been full of stress as we get ready for our first move.  We have moved lots of times.  I recently counted and by the time that we are in our new house in October, we will have lived in 11 different houses in less than 19 years.  I should have this down, right?  Absolutely not!  We are moving to our "twin city" so I would like to think of that as moving out of town given how much stress I am feeling.  Then I think about my friend Jenn (author of www.hobwas.wordpress.com... amazing blog that you should all check out) whose husband works for the State Department.  They move every few years and mostly out of the country!  If she lived a little closer, I would put her to work helping me :)

Anyway, we have started transitioning at our old house.  We put all three girls in one room on mattresses on the floor and it is working out great (much to my amazement).  We have started crating the dogs again since we will be in a small house with newly refinished floors and couches that don't belong to us.  They are still adjusting, but it has been MUCH better than I anticipated.  We are eating all the food from the freezer (okay, we got fast food last night because we just couldn't face the choices we had left... lima beans, yuck!).  Our packing is somewhat under control, although I turn one way and think we are doing great and then turn around and panic seeing how much we still have to do.  I am working most of this week, so I am trying to concentrate all the while thinking... "When we move, I will need to put the dogs on leashes every morning and take them through the front door since the back door would mean crawling across the girls" and "I wonder what day is trash day" and "If the movers come at 11, when do we need to get the truck and when should I have my parents come to help" and "How are we going to get the girls to and from school given that we live no where near where they are going to be going to school" and... okay, you get the picture.

And here is the picture that I am trying to keep in mind:

This is the way the girls like to go to get to the new house.  The roads are all paved, but there is one dirt road you can take and they love to go that way since it makes it feel "in the country."  I just think of this as the long road home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment